Thursday, February 26, 2009

Raising Freethinkers Book Review


A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief

I found this book to be really interesting. I had accepted the opportunity to review it before I realized that it was geared towards the nonreligious. Even though it is for parents who are raising their children nonreligiously, I found that a lot of the ideas in the book to be really interesting and really make me think (and I love that about it).

One of my favorite ideas is that it is okay to question EVERYTHING. I totally agree with this. I don't think there is a bad question. There might be awkward times to have a question asked but there are no bad questions (at least to me).

Raising Freethinkers is the practical companion to Parenting Beyond Belief:
On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion, a ground breaking collection of
essays offering secular parents advice about raising caring and freethinking
children, edited by Dale McGowan. Now McGowan, a writer and parenting
educator, and his co-authors (a humanist activist, the Executive Director of
Camp Quest, and a Religious Director of a Unitarian Society) offer practical
advice about secular parenting for the nonreligious.

Raising Freethinkers offers solutions to the unique challenges secular parents face and provides specific answers to common questions, as well as over 100 activities for both parents and their children. This book covers every important topic nonreligious parents need to know to help their children with their own moral and intellectual development, including advice on religious-extended-family issues, death and life, secular celebrations, wondering and questioning, and more.

Thanks to the Family Review Network for the chance to review this book.

I am actually going to be passing this along to a friend of mine who is nonreligious and have asked her to post a review of it as well. So stay tuned for another review this month of the book.





Never miss a review or giveaway- sign up here:

No comments: